Every year, thousands of accidents and fires occur due unsafe to electric practices. Cooperative Principle 5 is Education, Training and Information, and Medina Electric Cooperative is committed to educating the public about potential electrical dangers in the home.
With people spending more time at home, and in some cases still temporarily working and learning from home, electric systems are experiencing an increased load. Conduct a safety check on the following things to make sure your home is safe from potential shock and fire hazards:
- Overloaded cords and outlets: Extension cords are not permanent solutions. If your big-screen TV, home theater system and other electronics are plugged into one extension cord, it is time to call an electrician and install additional outlets.
- Damaged cords: damaged, cracked or frayed cords can expose wires and be both a shocking and fire hazard.
- Electrical wiring: Outdated wiring is a common cause of electrical fires. Frequently tripped breakers, flickering lights and burning smells are clear warning signs. If your home is more than 20 years old, it may not be able to handle today’s increased power load.
- Electrical outlets: Faulty electrical outlets are also a common cause of home fires. Any loose, damaged or warm-to-the-touch outlets should be repaired or replaced by a qualified electrician.
“It is critical that the public understands their home’s electrical system and the safety concerns associated with excessive use of outlets, and extension cords,” explains Medina EC’s Safety Coordinator, Derly Carrizales.
Medina EC encourages its members to contact a qualified electrician if they believe their home’s electrical system is unsafe or is not compatible with the increased need.